Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother's home was sold for taxes and we just found out if…

My name is Gena...

My name is Gena. My mother's home was sold for taxes and we just found out if she doesn't redeem it by May 4th she will lose it. I don't know what the procedure would be after that date and wonder if we could actually sell the home ourselves at this point? She doesn't have the money to redeem and has Alzheimers disease

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

We have not I do have a family member interested in purchasing it but not sure if she would be able to do so before May 4th

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

2134 S. Homan Avenue, Chicago Illinois 60623. Last I heard the amount due in 2016 was $7697.21 that my brother was suppose to handle but didn't. My family member interested is on her way to the clerks office as we speak to get the total which they would not give me over the phone.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

4/30/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Will the family be able to pull together and pay off the back tax bill for mother?

.

Do you know when the sale occurred?

.

.

thanks

No we can't pay it. Apparently the 2013 taxes were sold in september 2015 and the same purchaser continued to pay so it's all lumped together. All of it will need to be paid up front. Unfortunately, I don't know the total as of yet and possibly will have that information in an hour. The last know amount was $7696.21 in 2015 and was the responsibly of our brother who resides with her.
may we continue online please
would like to continue online please

Ok, under Illinois law, you typically get two years and six months to redeem your home after the sale. See (35 Ill. Comp. Stat. Ann. § 200/21-350).

.

In order to redeem the home, you’ll have to pay (among other amounts):

• the certificate amount (including all taxes, special assessments, interest, penalties, costs, and fees)
  • an accrued penalty that is based on the date you redeem (the penalty increases every six months, which means the longer you wait to redeem, the more you’ll have to pay)
  • the total of all subsequent taxes, special assessments, accrued interest on those taxes and special assessments, and costs that the purchaser paid, plus a penalty; and
  • fees and costs that the purchaser paid in connection with filing a petition for a tax deed with the court (35 Ill. Comp. Stat. Ann. § 200/21-350).

.

But if the full amount can't be paid off within that 2.5 years, the owner loses the right to do so and the tax purchaser can petition court and obtain a deed to the property (and receive “merchantable title” to the real estate taxed) for the amount paid at tax sale plus all subsequent taxes and various costs and fees.

.

That means that they become the owner and can then evict whoever is living there..

.

Barrister, Lawyer
WiseOwl58
Phone call session started
I am aware of that. The question is at this point can we enter a sales contract today with the intent to sale (we have a buyer) that would halt the take over?

Yes, up until the redemption period expired, the house can be sold and the new buyer can quickly pay off the back tax amounts to stop the tax buyer from getting a tax deed issued for the property.

.

.

thanks

If it takes the buyer more than 5 days to get financing because it's under contract will it stand. What is a typical time period for the tax buyer to obtain the tax deed?

If it takes the buyer more than 5 days to get financing because it's under contract will it stand.

.

No, those deadlines are set in stone. If it isn't paid, and the tax certificate holder won't agree to extend the deadline or accept payment after, then you are stuck.

.

What is a typical time period for the tax buyer to obtain the tax deed?

.

Around ten days after they file the petition, depending on the tax commissioner's schedule. But it doesn't matter when they file, as they have a year after the redemption period expires, it only matters when the redemption period expires.

ok thanks so much for your help.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time. Finger's crossed for mother and I hope everything turns out for her..

.

.

Take care.