Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have former landlord suing me for late fees 8 months after…

Customer Question
I have former landlord...

I have former landlord suing me for late fees 8 months after I moved out and closed the agreement. question can he do that if we closed out the tenant agreement with no issues and satisfactory turnover of the property

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

The landlord told me he was selling the property and offered me a month to month. I agreed to only one month after the term of my lease expired. I moved and turned over the property in perfect condition. He we unable to sell the property and had to rent it again. He took a huge loss and is trying to recover money any way he can. In his original agreement he accussed me of living in the property and not paying rent for 6 months.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Gaithersburg maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I filled a brief explaning the issue and the circuit court sided with the landlord. I am appealing the discission

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

question can he do that if we closed out the tenant agreement with no issues and satisfactory turnover of the property

.

Unfortunately, the answer is yes if you actually owed the late fees and he can prove it. The civil statute of limitations for a contract action in MD is 3 years... So legally he could pursue you for up to 3 years from the time each late fee was incurred.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Thank you.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time, even though the news was lousy.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much