Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I had a tenant for many years on section 8 and about 10

I had a tenant...

I had a tenant for many years on section 8 and about 10 years ago moved in her boyfriend. The tenant moved on to a nursing home and the boyfriend has stayed.. I did not give him a new lease. DoIhve to give him a lease ..can I ask him to leave. I accepted his rent last month even though it was less than the previous amount

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The previous lease was just standard, The landlord was responsible for building maintenance, water sewer, heat. The apt is older but livable, they were supplied range, refrigerator. This is a 2 bedroom apt and is really too big for this tenant. Can raise the rent (higher than section 8 s paying for him)

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have some security from the girlfriend that is to be returned but I don't have security from the boyfriend

4/30/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Does the boyfriend receive Section 8 also?

DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer
section 8 paid his rent last month les about $95.00
Phone call session started
I just checked his rental check, it was actually from Rental Assistance
I never received anything from the state showing that he was added to the lease. I have asked the dca office to send me anything tht shows I agreed to put him on lease but received nothing from them. His sister is now his POA
and is extremely difficult to work with when I need to get into the apartment for repairs etc. Changed locks, wont give me a key for emergency use, and asks me to wait two weeks before I can get in for a small repair. Can I just send him a letter
stating that I will not give him a new lease or should I increase his rent beyond what rental assistance will pay or try to evict him for another reason.

If there is no long-term lease, he would be on a month to month basis. You would follow the procedure to evict a tenant.

If the landlord wishes to end a month-to-month tenancy, the landlord must give the tenant a written one-month notice. This notice must state that the tenancy will end at the end of the month, and the tenant must move out of the rental unit by that time. At the end of the month, if the tenant has not moved out of the rental unit, then the landlord can file an eviction lawsuit against the tenant on the grounds that the tenant is a holdover tenant (see New Jersey Stat. Ann. § 2A:18-56(b)). New Jersey Notice Requirements to Terminate a Month-to-Month Tenancy has more information.

Thank you.

You are welcome.