Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in an apartment which is a 4plex. I am the only

I live in an apartment...
I live in an apartment which is a 4plex. I am the only person that is renting here. the other 3 apartments are unoccupied. The whole 4plex went up for public auction on April 24 due to foreclosure. I have a month to month lease. Broward County Public records has not updated the status of who owns the property. The choices would be the same landlord. Deutche Bank or a new owner. What are my rights to continue to stay here or who should I pay or contact anyone. Or just stay here and wait for a notice.
4/30/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The new owner, likely the bank, just takes over and becomes your landlord. So you would continue to pay your rent as normal until they give you a written notice to vacate to terminate the tenancy.

.'

To protect yourself from a claim of nonpayment, you need to set up a bank account specifically for depositing your rent into when due. Then you just pay your rent into that account each month so you have proof that the money is sitting there waiting on the new owner to show up.. If they don't ask for back rent, or they just give you a written notice to vacate at least 15 days long after a few months, then you will have a cushion of money to help move elsewhere.

.

.

thanks

go to the bank. Deposit the rent. Got it. What do I call the bank account? How much time would I legally have to vacate the premise if I receive a notice? The lease is only month to month. I have already paid first and last month rent. I wish to stay here. This my 3rd month here. I have the money and have paid on time each month. Just not this month because I do not know who to pay.

You just open a savings or checking account in your name... and only put the rent in it, and let it sit there..

.

If you are in FL, then the landlord only has to give a 15 day written notice to vacate and then would have to file a formal eviction, which takes around a month longer..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
I made the new bank account. Perfect. German bank owns it. An agent came by today to tell me the ins and outs and a few different options. Thank you for the idea on the bank account. I looked like I was a professional on top of the game. 1 of the options was be cool stay here and they would give me $2500 for cash for keys. I googled this topic and that seems fair for $875 rent a month. Yet I will not get back my $875 for security deposit. Is there any law in Florida? Or just hope for the best and friendly negotiation. Or how long may I stay here rent free? Without getting my security deposit back I am just looking at my options. I want to just BE FAIR AND HONEST...I don't want to be evicted. From what I read they do not have to give me cash for keys. So.....Choices I have?
Or maybe a little shady. So choices are?

The prior landlord would owe you the deposit... so you can always sue them in small claims if they haven't gone bankrupt.

.

And no, you can stay there as long as you want rent free until they actually file an eviction action... but then you would have an eviction showing up on your record making it much harder to rent elsewhere.

.

So the cash for keys is not a bad deal at all..