Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My question is: my aunt was holding the mortgage on a house…

My question is: my...

My question is: my aunt was holding the mortgage on a house she previously owned for the current owners. She has passed away in 2016, The people who are buying the house are behind on the payments. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I live in new jersey and am not sure what steps I should or need to take

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NJ lawyer about this?

No because I didnt think they would know the real estate laws of florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

4/30/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

My condolences for your loss.

Has an estate been opened in probate?

Thank you and yes her estate is in probate

Thank you for the additional information.

The note and mortgage are assets of the estate. If the borrower is in default then the representative of the estate can foreclose on the mortgage and take back the property.

The property would then be part of the estate to be distributed in accordance with her last will or in accordance with the rules on NJ intestate distribution.

If you need assistance finding local counsel to handle the foreclosure try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

what would the rules of NJ intestate distrubution have to do with her being a Florida resident
approximately what would this cost and how long would foreclosure take? The house in question is also in Florida

Sorry. Thought I saw a reference to NJ law in the question. If she was a resident of FL then, obviously FL law applies.

what is the Florida law on this matter? Is this something that I as the representative of the estate can do myself or do I need to seek representation

Depending on the court schedule, it usually takes approximately 180-200 days to effectuate an uncontested foreclosure.

There is no set fee for a foreclosure. It is whatever you can negotiate with the attorney when you retain them.

You will need an attorney to do this. You can not do it pro se in FL.

Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for your help. Have a nice evening.

You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.