Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have about 3 acres of land in Louisianna that someone told…

Customer Question
I have about 3...

I have about 3 acres of land in Louisianna that someone told me the man living next door plans to use the encroachment law to obtain the land. How can I stop that from happening. I live in Dallas and don't go to that area but about once a year.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Nothing so far. I just heard this today.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the land located?

Lone Pine Louisianna. It's not quite 3 acres.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The land was given to me by my dad. Eujene is a cousin and he ask us if he could use the land to put his horses on. We told him he could. I think my brother wrote us a manual lease but I thought that was only for one year. My brother is out of the country right now, so I can't find all the details until he gets back in a couple of weeks.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Obtaining land by encroachment is referred to as adverse possession and this requires all of the below elements to be met:

exclusive possession,

continuous possession, (for 10 years)

hostile,

actual, and

open

so if the possession is not hostile (ie with the owner's consent) it does not fall within the requirements of adverse possession.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.