Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I was asked to leave my apartment 5 months early. I signed a…

Customer Question
I was asked to...

I was asked to leave my apartment 5 months early. I signed a paper I would turn in the keys by the end of the month and I did. Now I get a bill for the remainder of the 5 month rent.?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No issues of maintenance. It was a 1 year lease

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/29/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Did you receive a release from the landlord when you vacated?

Do you have written evidence that you vacated at the landlord's request?

I turned in the keys when they asked on the 31st.

Yes, I understand.

Did you have a written lease? Did you receive a release of the lease in writing when you turned in your keys?

No

Why did they want you to vacate early? Did they say?

Was the entire exchange verbal?

I moved out on the 28th.

Why did you leave early?

No I got a letter to covenant or quit. So I signed a paper that I would vacate on March 31st.
Because the lady upstairs was complaining about us smoking. which was false. I don't smoke. but I left anyways.

Have they rented out the apartment to a new tenant?

I don't know. Im not there any more.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, if you just left, without getting a release, and you had a written fixed term lease, the lease remains in effect and you can still be held liable for the rent.

The good news is that they have to credit you for any rent they receive when a new tenant starts paying for the property you vacated early.

So, you will want to find out if they have relet the premises.

Additionally, the landlord has a legal duty to take reasonable steps to mitigate damages by finding a new tenant.

So, that is something else you will want to find out (if they are trying to relet).

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this and being blindsided by liability.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

I just called and It has been rented.

Thank you for the additional information.

Then you can only be charged for the shortfall in your own lease.

In other words, the landlord can not collect double rent.

Are you still online with me?

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.