Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I LOANED my grandson $15,944 for school and car and he said…

I LOANED my grandson...

I LOANED my grandson $15,944 for school and car and he said would pay me back, only paid me $20.00. Now is Teacher going for Masters, married with baby owns a Condo etc. Can I put a Lien on his Condo for this Debt as sure will be selling soon as small house so when sols I can get my money?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Always just asking him to pay, sending in mail letters asking him to pay, calling on phone asking him to pay asking him to pay in person, same old story "I will see about paying Grandma".

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

Centennial, CO 80122 has a First Mortgage of course so this would be a second

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No unless you say I am almost 80 and cant believe he has done this to me

4/27/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, without the consent of your grandson, you can not put a sum***** *****en on his property. You would need to first sue him in civil court over the debt, and then obtain a judgment. You could then record a copy of the judgment in any county where he has property and you would have a judgment lien on any property he owns.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you there was an easier way, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
could go to small claims court?
Unfortunately, the amount exceeds the jurisdictional limits for small claims court.