Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in an apartment complex and my boyfriend had an

Hello, I live in...

Hello, I live in an apartment complex and my boyfriend had an accident where he slipped on ice and fell down the stairs. The apartment complex claims they have sent a report over to their corporate office. this accident happened on December 31, 2017. No one has contacted us about the situation. He has lost his job due to not being able to perform at work from the injuries. What can we do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

We've filed a report with the apartment complex, but that's all.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the apartment located?

Willow Ridge Apartments in Lewisville, TX.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Due to us making maintenance complaints, the landlord is refusing to renew our lease. We already signed our renewal two weeks ago, but the landlord gave us a notice of nonrenewal. She is refusing to let us renew.

4/27/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Important Information (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)

1. I am a user of this website just like you. I have no insight into your account, what you are paying for the question, if you have subscribed for a reoccurring fee, etc. IF you have questions regarding the website, I would urge you to contact customer support (there will be an option on your interface to reach customer support).
2. This website will likely send you an offer for a telephone call. This offer is sent by the website (I have no control over this). You can feel free to accept the offer if you wish to speak on the phone or to decline if you prefer to type back and forth.
3. I will likely have questions about the information you provide, if you can respond to the questions, that will help me understand your circumstances and provide the best possible answer for you.
4. As we communicate, there may be a delay, rest assured if I am delayed responding it is because I am delayed on another matter and will respond to you as quickly as I can.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Is there anything I can do to fight the non-renewal notice? My landlords reason for not renewing is that we've complained about maintenance issues and she doesn't believe we will be happy if we stay. And, can I do anything to get them to be responsible for loss of wages and to reimburse for medical bills?

Thank you

What you are describing sounds like "retaliation". Retaliation occurs when the landlord wrongfully terminates the lease, files for eviction, deprives the tenant of the use of the premises, decreases services to a tenant, or increases the rent because a tenant tries to exercise his rights.

You can see the law here:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PR/htm/PR.92.htm#92.331

If the landlord engages in activity that constitutes unlawful retaliation, you may seek a judgment against your landlord for: (1) one month's rent, plus $500; (2) the reasonable costs to move to another place (if you were forced out); and (3) attorney's fees and court costs.

As for the injuries....if you can show that the injuries were because of the landlords failure to maintain the common areas, you can sue to recover

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thank you! I believe you have answered all of my questions!

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil