Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mom has had memory issues, confusion, at times had

hallucinations and delusions. But she...
My mom has had memory issues, confusion, at times had hallucinations and delusions. But she also has moments of lucidity. Both her husband and I have said we thought it was drug induced. Well, her husband, my stepfather, has lately has been disagreeable with me and my active participation in my mom's healthcare. With my mom's consent arranged for her to travel from their home in Tx to mine in AZ. My step dad convinced mom she has to stay for dr appts and accusing me of not considering ber health. We both received a letter signed by the dr overseeing her care clearing her to travel. He threatened that my mother and I can do whatever she wants but he knows what he has to do. I believe his threat is to declare her incompetent and use his authority power of attorney. He has a girlfriend he calls nightly in LA, tries to visit every two months using their savings. He controls the finances and he doesn't make much money. My mom has been in and out of hospitals since November 2017. I want her with me because I am more able bodied and resourceful.Better able to maintain quality of life. So I think he will use my mom's compromised state to declare her incompetent. What can I do now to stop him. what evidence do I need to gather.
4/27/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

She has an appointment Monday with PCP he is chummy with. I fear this appt is for this reason

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You can beat him to it by filing for Guardianship of your mother once your mother comes to Arizona. However, Arizona may kick the case back to Texas where she has residence. So, you may have to file for the Guardianship in the State of Texas to take control of your mother and her finances. Her husband with a girlfriend on the side should not be the person calling the shots with regard to her health or to be in control of her fiances. He has a very troubling conflict of interest there and his intentions regarding your mother is quite suspicious at this point.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
I know she thought she could handle the situation though I offered her to live with me from beginning but I don't think any of us realized how terrible of a person he would become. He tells everyone how he needs a break in LA. I wish he would go and never come back.

Maybe, you can convince her now to stay with you. In any event, exert control now. Take the initiative by filing for Guardianship of her person and her estate now to take control of her affairs, away from her husband.

Best wishes,

Thank you so much.

You are quite Welcome!