Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm a Canadian living and until recently working in the US.

Customer Question
Hello, I'm a Canad*****...

Hello, I'm a Canad***** *****ving and until recently working in the US. My employment has been terminated, which means that as of May 15th if I stay here I will be unlawfully present in the US, as my L1 visa is conditional to my employment. Is this a valid reason to break my lease? Considering the fact the US government is saying I can no longer be here after that date?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No paperwork to be filed as far as i know, but the law states 60 days following ending of employment i will be out of legal status here

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the L-1 visa?

Yes that is the advice I have been given.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

By the immigration attorney

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You would want to return to Canada before deadline so you can return later.You can see if landlord will resolve this with you , the lease terms control.Landlord may agree to release you or otherwise resolve it.It is the best you can do here to try and resolve lease and move forward.

I am so sorry that this happened to you.Prayers to you.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

My question here is specifically regarding my legal ability to break my lease under these circumstances. I dont need advice about leaving the country. Please clarify

Sorry for the delay.Unless the lease has an opt out and it probably doesn't you have to resolve it with landlord.It is unique problem , usually not covered in a standard lease.See what you can negotiate with landlord here.

Thanks for rating 5 stars it is sincerely ***** *****