Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is there a legal distinction between a mobile home and an…

Is there a legal...

Is there a legal distinction between a mobile home and an RV. The language in my HOA Covenants says mobile homes.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

This is for a prospective buyer of my home

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the mobile home located?

It's an RV...not a mobile home Charles County, MD

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The perspective buyer can't ask for permission from the board as he isn't a homeowner. He wants to know before he submits an offer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've included a copy of the Covenants
4/26/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

MD Code 8A-101 defines "Mobile Home" as follows:

(1) "Mobile home" means a structure:

(i) Transportable in one or more sections;

(ii) 8 or more body feet in width and 30 or more body feet in length;

(iii) Built on a permanent chassis; and

(iv) Designed to be used as a dwelling, with or without a permanent foundation, when connected to the required utilities.

MD uses the term Motor Home, Section 11-134.3 which says, ""Motor home" means a motor vehicle that is designed and constructed primarily to provide living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use."

And Mobile Home under 11-134:

"Mobile home" means:

(1) A trailer or semitrailer that is designed, constructed, and equipped as a permanent or temporary living or sleeping place and for use as a conveyance on highways, but that does not qualify as a camping trailer or a travel trailer as these terms are defined in this subtitle; or

(2) A trailer or a semitrailer that has a chassis and exterior shell designed and constructed as described in item (1) of this section, but that is used instead, either permanently or temporarily, for the advertising, sale, display, or promotion of merchandise or services, as an office, or for any other similar purpose, except the transportation of property for hire or the transportation of property for distribution by a private carrier.

So, those are the definitions you have under MD law. The covenants say no Mobile Homes and the intent is to prevent people from putting them on their lots as a living structure.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.