Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If a bank engage in a property flip fraud where they force…

if a bank engage in...
if a bank engage in a property flip fraud where they force customers into refinancing rather than line of credit so they can artificially inflate the value of the properties in the area for futures customers and use a fraudulent appraisal to trick customers into borrowing more than the house is worth and, therefore, bad loans. When a customer seek litigation against such bank, what is the precedence for determining damages or what is the "measuring stick" for determining the amount of damages owed?
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/26/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.
On review of your facts, you have a good case.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
what are the considered acceptable losses in this given circumstance
Direct financial loss resulting from misconduct. Needs to be quantified and not speculative.
Here would be the difference between the forced refinance and more prudent options.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Please click the 5 star (*****) rating - it’s the only way I receive credit by the site. Leaving a bonus after rating is always very much appreciated. if you dont see the rating button you can just type back “5 stars” Thank you!
is it the amount of the loan or what is it?

You can ask for that, but more realistically if the loan terms got worse due to refinance, then it would be the loan before refinance less loan after refinance, plus costs and legal fees.

Infolawyer, Lawyer
what's the precedence for the given circumstance, exactly what are the courts sayin the damages are?

It would normally be what I just mentioned, and in rare situations can void the entire loan if conduct egregious. It is looked at on a case by case basis.