Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a question regarding riparia rights. Wisconsin zip…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a question regarding riparia rights

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wisconsin zip code 53072

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a current riparian rights owner in a Lake owners association which functions like a HOA. Thereare currently 11 members who own the land. 7 of us are from the original land granted the rights from 1993. The last 4 were granted the rights in 2004 and those 4 are in threat of losing their rights due to new zoning. They are now saying there should be a "lottery" of the 11 to see who gets 8 spots. The original 7 are saying that the las 4 added do not have that right, and are the first to lose their riparian rights

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I meant to start "I am a current Riparian rights owner"
4/26/2018
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. You have every to contest the proposed new zoning. You made your purchase based on riparian rights. This would be considered a governmental taking and needs to be handle carefully and cautiously.

Are you online with me?

Perfect. Have you spoken to a local land use Attorney?

You didn’t answer my question. I was asking about riparian rights. I know that the government is coming for my property

Taking away your riparian rights is considered a governmental taking and becomes and eminent domain issue.

N Cal Attorney

New Expert here.

There is a common law maxim of jurisprudence that states, First in time is first in right. That maxim applies across a lot of different areas of law, and my opinion is that the owners who were granted riparian rights in 1993 have priority to keep those rights as against later owners, but you need to consult a local attorney about this who can go over the facts and review whatever document is out there that is threatening the riparian rights you mentioned.

You can get a free consultation from some of the local land use attorneys listed here.

I agree with the prior Expert that this can present an issue of a taking of property by government agency that may result in an inverse condemnation claim. It also raises the issue of whether the government is trying to retroactively impair the rights and obligations of a contract, such as the HOA type agreement.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this infornation is helpful.

N Cal Attorney