Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a tenant that has not paid the full rent and has

I have a tenant...

I have a tenant that has not paid the full rent and has several non-compliances that I want to evict. I have given a 3 day notice, a Pet violation notice, a Non-Compliance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Tennessee, Nashville. She rented for herself and her baby and cat. That is what is in the lease. She failed to inform me upon signing the lease that she could not put the utilities in her name and her boyfriend who is the baby daddy was the one whose name the utilities are in.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

She is to my knowledge taking good care of the property, the non-compliances are in relationship to a series of other issues. She moved in March 5th 2018. I tried to work with her on the utilities and offered to put the baby Daddy on the lease and he moved in without providing documentation to be approved on the application. No Social and no Proof of Income. After being there I visited them on April 2nd and heard a dog inside the residence. I was a Pitbull. I was not given prior notice of this dog and would not have approved it. Its still there. He and the dog are not on the lease.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have email notices to her and she has acknowledged receiving them. Including a 3 day pay or quit. Am I obligated to accept the rent and if I did could I still evict her for the other violations.

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/13/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

Not paying rent is a violation like any other violation. So one can still ACCEPT RENT and then evict based on another material violation of the lease - YES.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

What are my rights in Tennessee, Nashville area regarding removal of an unauthorized person and Pitbull dog in my property. At this point I just want to evict them all including the lessee's. I need the fastest way to proceed.

I assume that both are unauthorized per the contract? If so, then these are the following steps:

1) NOTICE under TN Code Secs. 66-28-505 to CURE (14 days) and if they do not;

2) EVICTION FILING.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law
Phone call session started