Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Our lease states The Security Deposit will increase by 2%

Customer Question
Our lease states The...

Our lease states The Security Deposit will increase by 2% per year.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. I am simply asking if 2%nis a violation of any law

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

My client states that all security deposits after September 30, 2004 must be at least 3%

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The property is in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/12/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Response: Yes, it is. It is in violation of Maryland Landlord and Tenant Act, Security Deposit Provision; Maryland Real Property Code Title 8 Section 8-203 which requires maximum of two months' rent as the Security Deposit.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I am not satisfied.
Your response does not address my question.
My question: interest rate.(is 2% illegal)
Your response: size of security deposit

I am sorry that you feel that way. I can only respond based on the Statutes. I will however opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Thank you *****
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello, different expert here...

.

Are you still looking for help with your question?

.

If so, can you tell me how much the rent is and how much the current deposit is before any increase?

.

..

thanks

I am not satisfied. I had to wait a day for a response. By that time, I had found the answer to my question.
I have cancelled my membership.