Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have evicted a tenant for non-payment. Do I have the right…

I have evicted a...

I have evicted a tenant for non-payment. Do I have the right to hold the personal property in my property until she pay the debt?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the tenant taken so far? Has she prepared or filed any paperwork?

She has a lawyer who called me to release her personal properties. She converted my property into business and have an independent living renters but did not paid her rent on the property for several months.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

National City.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if its true that CA law, the landlord has no right to hold the renters positions unless she paid her dues.

4/11/2018
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only. No course of action is proposed and the information provided does not constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

I'm going to answer your question and my one request is that you please please PLEASE not shoot the messenger... I have an ethical obligation to tell you the truth (and I've never been one to tell people what they want to hear, if it's not the truth, anyway.) Even when a tenant is evicted they are entitled to their personal property - whether or not they owe the landlord money; keeping the personal property is akin to "self help" and it's not permissible. As much as I wish it was otherwise, sometimes I have to give information that isn't "good news." I hope you don't take it out on me! If it were up to me, I'd only give people good news! Please don't shoot the messenger on this one - I really would tell you otherwise if I could! If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! You can still ask follow up questions after rating - and of course please ask if you need clarification to anything I've written. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Olivia Kent
Thank you for telling me. What action should the landlord do to legally pressure the renter to pay?

I answered in your other thread but I'll answer here as well :)

Really there's no way to "pressure" the tenant to pay - but you CAN sue the tenant in small claims court for the back rent that they owe you!