Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How would you word a clause in a residential rental

agreement to allow the landlord...
how would you word a clause in a residential rental agreement to allow the landlord to terminate the lease for any reason with 60 days notice? is it common for the landlord to have this clause in the agreement?
4/7/2018
Loren, Lawyer

"Landlord may terminate this Lease at any time during the Lease Term, without cause, by giving sixty days prior written notice to Tenant.

Landlord will prorate rent if the termination is effective on other than the first day of the month."

It is not typical to include such a provision, but if the parties agree, it is permitted.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
thanks Loren my wife and I own the house on the lease is it advisable to put both of our names or just one of our names. I was concerned about the liability?

You would want all parties in title to sign the lease and make sure you carry adequate insurance.