Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Per California tenant law, can my landlord add an addendum 3…

Customer Question
Per California tenant law...

Per California tenant law, can my landlord add an addendum 3 weeks after I move in when we already have a signed lease, asking me to pay an extra $100 per month to cover garbage, use of laundry? also I was charged fro rent from the 15th, moved in on the 19th from across the com country and my heat hadn't even been checked, I had no heat for a week due to this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yes, no heat, and the heat goes out pretty often,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also I have lived here 15 month s now and upon move out my landlord is asking me to have carpets professionally cleaned even though he plans to rip them out. They have had zero spills or stains. I leave shoes at the door

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/7/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Ok

The landlord is bound by the terms of the lease they signed, just as you are.

So, unless the lease contains a provision allowing for early termination or unilateral amendment of the terms by the landlord, they can not force you, during the stated lease term, to sign any addendum or modification changing the terms and they can not evict your for refusing to do so.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.