Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a question about late fees. In Massachusetts how many…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a question about late fees. In Massachusetts how many days does the rent have to be late before a Landlord is legally allowed to charge a late-fee?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No, not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MA lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that's most of the relevant information. Thank you

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/5/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Awesome, thank you, ***** ***** your help.

You are most welcome!

The landlord cannot charge a late fee until the rent is 30 days late; please see here

Section 15B states this clearly:
"(c) No lease or other rental agreement shall impose any interest or penalty for failure to pay rent until thirty days after such rent shall have been due."

The link to that statute is here

Here is a helpful source for landlord/tenant related questions.

I hope this helps!

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Thank you very much!

Most welcome; thank you kindly for the positive rating; take care!

Also, sorry, quick follow-up that just occurred to me. Can the statute you listed in section 15B possibly be construed as, if you are late on your rent (say a day or two), we a land lord just can't charge you a late fee until 30 days later, or is really such that if I pay my rent before the rent is 30 days late, then the land lord cannot legally charge me a late fee?

Sorry; just got this-

no, the idea of the statute is the "grace period" and it would defeat the intent of the legislatures if the landlord was able to charge a late fee after 30 days, for days falling within that window.