Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If I am a tenant and have had my eviction dismissed due to…

If I am a...

If I am a tenant and have had my eviction dismissed due to retaliation, and my lease is month to month, can I legally bind the landlord to giving me a new lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The lease has been met, it's now month to month. My complaint that allowed me to get teh eviction dismissed based on retaliation was in the past, nothing the landlord could do it about it, but everything is up to code now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I am the landlord, and I'm speaking as the tenant, because they seem to have more rights than me. But I'm too honest to keep acting like I'm someone I'm not. I'm being held hostage by this guy who knows the system in and out.

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/5/2018
RealEstateAnswer
I am sorry but you can not. The landlord can not be forced to rent to you. If the lease expires and you rent month to month and they want to end the lease they have a legal right to do so. If they do and you once again think they are retaliating against you you can raise that defense but will need evidence if it.
Hi, I appeared as the tenant, but I am the landlord; I just feel there are so many more rights and empathy for the tenant that legitimate, honest people. This guy is an expert con and knows how to work the system. The eviction was dismissed due to a blatant lie they quoted in the ruling, that I was not allowed to show evidence against. It is now being appealed. In the meantime, he first asked after the ruling to buy my house contract for deed, I said house not for sale. So, he said he wants a new lease. It is month to month right now, I have no intention of giving him a new lease. I just have to make sure that he does not somehow have some twisted "right" to request that I write him a new lease in the midst of this eviction/retaliation. He is such a master manipulator, my fear is I say "no" and he says "good, here's a lawsuit." My attorney is looking into it, the one I have to pay; where his is free. I'm just sick over all of this and want to make sure I'm in the right.
That is correct. He has no legal right to get a lease nor do you have to give him one. It is your home and you decide the tenancy and if he does not want to rent month to month he can leave and you can end his tenancy also if you desire.
Thank you!
My pleasure and you are welcome. If you have not already I just kindly ask that you rate my help at the top at this time.
RealEstateAnswer