Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can the owner of commercialnrealty be issued a violation or…

Can the owner of...

Can the owner of commercialnrealty be issued a violation or dominos for conduct of a tenant

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Violations have been issued

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Queens County in New York City and the summonses have been issued by the fire department

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The violation was entirely on the premis smrented to the tenant and was not known to the landlord

I will await the email answer. Thank you.
4/4/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

Most code violations are issued to the owner of real property. As the owner, you have liability for the conduct and acts on your property. However, you likely have a claim against the tenant for indemnification and contribution from the tenant for the damages and losses incurred by you for having to deal with and pay for any violations caused by the tenant. You may also have some helpful indemnification language in the lease with the tenant. It also may constitute an event of default by the tenant under the terms of the lease.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.

Lori
Lori, Lawyer