Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My home flooded on March 22 along with several of my

Customer Question
My home flooded on...

My home flooded on March 22 along with several of my neighbors. City of folsom said they aren't responsible that PG&E is due to the power lines. However, the drainage system failed due to poor maintenance in my opinion. I have flood insurance FEMA but it doesn't pay for my living expenses as I have to move out of my house and I am having a BIG problem because I have pets. No one wants to rent to me. I would have to board my pet which would cost over $3,000 a month. HELP

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I had and adjuster come out and access the house to give me an estimate of what they will pay for. I had a contractor come to give the insurance company their cost for clean up so he will be sending his figures to them. I also have another contractor for the rebuild. I am waiting to hear from the adjuster. I think he will have the figures sometime this week or next. In the meantime I am trying to pack up all my things and get out of the house.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

I am by my self so it is taking me longer. I will have some people to help me finish and load the storage pod that will arrive at my house tomorrow. Which is another expense delivery storage and return delivery of the pod when I need it. Insurance will pay for repairs as long as I stay within the amount that they will allow. It is all the rest of the cost, the stress the inconvenience of all of this. The stress on my pets as well.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to be reimbursed for the cost of it all and have them fix this so it will never happen again. I can't afford a lawyer either. I am trying to get my neighbors to help fill a class action law suit against them but no one has responded

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I want to know who is responsible. the city said it is PG&E as they have the power lines on that land. I think it is both of them. I am scared as I am having a problem of finding someone or place to take me in with my 2 dogs and 3 cats. I will have to board them and it will cost more that 3,000 a month plus my boarding. I want the city to supply a trailer and let it be parked in front of my house so I can live there at NO COST to me as I feel that PG&E didn't maintain the area to prevent the drains from being clogged and the city of Folsom for not maintaining the drains as this flooding not only happened on my street it went over 1-3 miles down to the main street

I see. So, was it the flood that caused these issues? Or was it something from one of these companies?