Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My son, wife and 5 Children live in Pismo Beach in the

Customer Question
My son, wife and...

My son, wife and 5 Children live in Pismo Beach in the rental for 5 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Their rent just went from $2300 to $3600. Is that legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

116 Baker, Pismo Beach, Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

116 Baker, Pismo Beach

Submitted: 16 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 16 days ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately, Pismo Beach doesn't have any rent control laws that would limit the amount of any rent increase. However, under CA state law, if the increase is over 10%, the landlord has to give them at least a 60 day notice prior to any increase becoming effective.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Landlord did not install carbon monoxide detectors. Oven emits Cabon monoxide. All doors and windows must be open.
Request was made 3 weeks ago via text.

Ok, then your fastest recourse here is to contact the local Code Enforcement office and request an inspection. They can come out and inspect and then cite the landlord for all violations and force them to make repairs or face fines and even criminal prosecution.. And if there are dangerous conditions, they may declare the property uninhabitable and the landlord would have to put them up in a hotel until repairs are made...

.

Further, if he tried to evict after calling Code, that is illegal retaliation and would give them grounds to sue the landlord in court for punitive damages. Judges tend to be very harsh on landlords who illegally retaliate..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer