Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Are homes required to have insulation underneath? We are…

Customer Question
Are homes required to...

Are homes required to have insulation underneath?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

We are looking to buy an older house and there is no insulation inderneath...does the lender need to provide that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Russellville, Mo.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The home has good florring, but is uninsulated

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Whether insulation is required or not is dependent on the building codes in that area that were in place at the time the house was either constructed or substantially renovated. If the house is older, it is very possible such insulation was not required (and may not be required now depending on the type of structure and the character of the space under the house). If you are concerned with the lack of insulation, you may want to consider speaking with the home inspector or a home inspector as to the pros and cons of such insulation (it can provide heat/cool insulation but with an older house there may be other concerns of fire hazard or ventilation) and if the inspector believes it prudent. If insulation is recommended, it would not be the lender's responsibility to provide that insulation but you could ask the seller to provide it as part of the transaction. Whether the seller will or even can be asked to provide it will depend on what stage in the sales process you are, but if you are still in the negotiation or inspection stages, it may be worth inquiring of the seller's willingness to install insulation prior to closing.

I hope this information helps. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is ​for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Happy Friday. I just wanted to check back with you to see if you needed any further assistance.