Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in Alabama. I recently had ownership of a home that…

Customer Question
I live in Alabama...

I live in Alabama. I recently had ownership of a home that sold. I was the sole person on the mortgage making payments every month for 20+ years, A sibling held a deed to the property. When the property sold, the proceeds was in form of a check to him only. We had a verbal agreement before the sell that the proceeds would be split 50/50. Now, no contact or rememberance of the agreement. How can I get my part of this proceeds?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No paperwork. Several phone calls and text message

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AL lawyer about this?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

The issue is that he was the person on the deed and the title company would provide the proceeds to him. If the agreement would have been in writing the title company could have divided the proceeds 50/50. At this point you will need to sue for breach of contract to obtain the amount he owes you, Where in AL is the property located?

Are you online with me?

I can provide a local link for Attorneys in the area of the real property that provide FREE consultations for you.

Where in the real property located in Alabama?