Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I rent a small secondary rental unit in Silverlake, Ca. The…

Customer Question
I rent a small...

I rent a small secondary rental unit in Silverlake, Ca. The landlord is selling the property and is try to evict me. Can she?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I gave him a notice of eviction in 90 days

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

No

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The answer to your question is no, if you are in the middle of a rental agreement. Even if a landlord is selling the property, the new landlord has to honor the rental agreements of all tenants known or reasonably known to be living on the property. In your case, if they are selling the property, they cannot evict. The only reason they could evict is if they had reason to evict, such as non-payment of rent. If they sell the property, then the new owner must honor your rental agreement, whether it is a lease or month-to-month agreement. Also, the agreement doesn't have to be in writing either to be binding.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?