Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am the PR for an estate with a rental property. The person…

Customer Question
Hi I am...

Hi I am the PR for an estate with a rental property. The person who passed away had a will that had to go through probate death. He passed away July 2017. Due to delays with the probate I didnt have authority to collect rent and the person renting was long time renter and friend of the person who passed away. Anyways I told him to sit on the rent until I had authority and then once I did have it we never connected for me to collect rent but he assured me he had it set aside. He knows the house is being sold (to a person who is buying it to enable him to continue renting) with the closing coming this month and he is not answering my calls or responding about the back 9 months of rent. Can the estate sue him for it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Meaning?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that covers it

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 17 days ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Yes I suggest a demand letter here giving him 10 days to pay up and you sue him in probate court for the rent. As executor you have the duty to pursue this matter.Send the demand letter inform him you will need to seek legal fees and cost if it is mot paid up.And sue if you have too here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Thanks Another quick question Can I use a 7 day to evacuate notice as well?

Yes for failure to pay rent and file forcible entry and detainer if you have too.

Ray, Lawyer