Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord is not fixing electrical problems in our

Customer Question
My landlord is not...

My landlord is not fixing electrical problems in our apartment or the other tenants harassing us

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

CT I cant find an attorney for tenants.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

We don't have access to our utilities but the basement tenant does. he has shut our water off unscrews the lightbulbs that light up the stairwell. Landlord was told about 6 electric sockets that don't work and that the overhead lights dim all the time and the overhead light in kitchen keeps going out and makes a funny noise.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He also does not clear the sidewalks when it snows and I fell in January because of the ice.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
On review of your facts, you have a good case. You may seek repair and rent adjustment.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Not acceptable, It still doesn't address the other tenants harassing which is clearly stated in the lease.
That is a breach as well which can be raised with landlord and with the court seeking an injunction and compensation. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!