Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is it legal for an HOA to request medical information from a…

Customer Question
Is it legal for...

Is it legal for an HOA to request medical information from a veteran

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

There is an issue with a comfort dog. Papers have been provided for the dog but they also want the VA to fill out information as to why we need the dog and they wNt medical records but the VA won’t sign the forms or release

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a VA lawyer about this?

We keep getting different info. It’s like everyone is afraid to do anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My brother in law is a Vietnam Nam vet of the Marine Corp. Collecting benefits for PTSD and he is a two time Purple Heart recipient

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are seeking an exclusion for a service dog or emotional support dog then the HOA has a right to obtain information to prove you need to have such a dog. YOU have to sign the HIPAA release for the VA and the VA will not release the information without your written consent. Once you have given written HIPAA consent to the VA, then under HIPAA, they must release the information you are seeking.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.