Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Accepted an offer to purchase after paying special

Customer Question
Accepted an offer to...

Accepted an offer to purchase after paying special assessment and disclosing this to buyer. New special assessment has arisen after accepting offer but before closing. Who is liable for this assessment?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Just an offer & acceptance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Topsail Beach, NC

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The contract often says who is responsible for paying these amounts. When it doesn't, typically, the seller would pay assessments for work performed before the closing and the buyer would pay assessments for work that will be performed after they take ownership. That's because only the buyer benefits from the assessments done after the title transfers. You are free to negotiate any other arrangement, but that's what you're looking at - when is the assessment due, versus when you're finding out about it? What is the assessment for, and who is going to benefit?

The assessment will be due & work done after the title transfers. Buyer will benefit for dock replacement. However it has been passed by the Association and I, the Seller know about it.

The buyer is going to be responsible. You do have to tell them about the assessment now that you're aware of it.

Do you have any other questions about this?