Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mom died and I'm her next of kin. What kind of trouble…

Customer Question
My mom died and I'm...
My mom died and I'm her next of kin. What kind of trouble would I have gotten myself into if I used her credit card to pay off some of my debt? I started making payments to the credit card companies for what I charged to her account.
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 20 days ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
My condolences for your loss.
It is not that you are in trouble, but you have made yourself legally liable for the repayment of the entire account, not just what you have charged. In other words, by using the card, you have made yourself a co owner of the account and the credit card company can sue you to pay the account.
As long as you make payments, nothing will happen.
I am happy to continue if you have further questions.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 18 days ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer