Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I've been bullied and defrauded by an apartment complex.

Hello. I've...

Hello. I've been bullied and defrauded by an apartment complex. Would like legal help in this regard

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Nope. I've been trying to reach the complex for a couple weeks now, and they haven't responded. Just decided today after I got my (lack of) deposit back from them that I want to take action

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the apartment located?

Scottsdale Scotts Rd & Shea Blvd

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Probably, but I'm not sure which info is relevant and which is not, lol

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/3/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What state is this in?

.

How long ago did you move out and return the keys?

.

Have you received any itemized written notice of any deductions from your deposit?

.

Did you leave the landlord a forwarding address?

.

.

thanks

I left them a forwarding address. And no, nothing was itemized. I have the original lease agreement, as well as the apartment walkthrough checklist which lists all the existing damages.
I've actually wanted to take legal action against them for some time, because like I said, they are total bullies. This instance just gave me the ammo I needed to do so. I want to hire a lawyer, but right now this site seems like it just wants to micro-transaction me to death. Is your office in Phoenix/Scottsdale? I may just come in and see what our options are.

Ok... did you ever get an itemized written list of deductions.... or any list of deductions at all?

.

If you are talking about the phone call thing..The phone call offers are auto generated by the website, not me personally. I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website because I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible in writing.

And how long ago did you move out and return the keys?

Sorry, just realized you had 2 more questions that were cut off on the page. It's in AZ. I turned in the keys on 3/5, and my lease was throught 3/10. No they've never given me anything itemized. I've sent 3 separate emails to them regarding this, and left several voicemails as well.
It's also worth mentoning that the apartment was in bad condition when I moved in. I came from out of state and the apartment they showed me was a different one then the one they gave me. When I arrived with a trailer with all my stuff, I didn't really have much choice. I was very thorough on the checklist and noted MANY issues with the place. My deposit was around ~$1000, and I got $94 back.
I'm actually not that interested in regaining my money. What I really want is for this to cost them a ton. They totally deserve it and they take advantage and bully people like this.

Ok, then if they didn't send an itemized invoice of deductions within 14 days of the end of your lease, then they are in violation of AZ law. See AZ Statutes 33-1321

.

If the landlord fails to comply with Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 33-1321(D), the tenant may recover the property and money due together with damages in an amount equal to twice the amount wrongfully withheld. (Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 33-1321(E))

.

So your recourse now is to sue them in small claims court for twice your deposit..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
Ok. Thank you very much! So can I hire you to sue them? Or maybe this is just a site for consultation? I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.
I just looked it up. Lawyers aren't allowed in small claims I guess... So I'll take action accordingly. Thanks much for your help! Full Star-Rating to you, sir. Have a good day :)

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer anyway.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

.

Have a great evening!