Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We would like to have our daughter added as owner on our…

Customer Question
We would like to...

We would like to have our daughter added as owner on our home. What is the best way to do this to protect our home from tax lien?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No not yet. We had a trust in CA but it was never updated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

No. We live in AZ. The lien would be filed against our home in AZ.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are 83 and 76 years and not in good health. Would like to protect our home.`

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about you are not in good health. Best wishes,

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your question about tax lien.

Are you referring to property tax or income tax lien?

Kindly explain a little more.

Thank you for your cooperation.

We owned a retail business in CA that failed. We had to file both a personal and business bankruptcy. The tax lien is for sales tax owed. They have said that they will file a lien against our home in AZ. This home was purchased with funds we were allowed to keep through the federal homestead act when our home in CA sold. We had to invest this money in another residence within six months or lose it. We thought possibly putting the deed in our daughter’s name would help. Please advise.

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Response: This is a bit problematic because any transfer now may be considered by State of California as fraudulent transfer because of the pending sales tax lien. However, you can try to prevent the lien on the property by deeding the property over to your daughter without retaining any interest in the property and let the State of California challenge the transfer if they deem that necessary. You would use your current Deed as a template. You and your spouse would be the Grantors and your daughter the Grantee for love and affection as consideration. The Deed must be signed by you and your spouse in front of a Notary Public. Then the fully executed and notarized Deed recorded at your Registry of Deeds.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.