Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am in Texas. I was in financial trouble a few years ago…

Customer Question
I am in Texas. I...
I am in Texas. I was in financial trouble a few years ago and sold my house, which was close to foreclosure, to a company whose owner turned out was running a scam. The deal was for him to take over the loan and eventually pay it off, but meanwhile to bring the account up to date and keep paying the mortgage. He rented the house to someone and supposedly sold it to him and gave him a deed with my forged signature and was notarized. A year after, I found out about this scam after I saw on my credit report that there were missing payments on my mortgage. I contacted the person living in the house and told him what was happening. He said he has been sending payments to this scammer to a company he gave him located in California. The person living in the house now claims he has an official deed and hired a lawyer. Initially I cooperated with the tenant and with the U.S. attorney who became involved in the case and tried to help him. The impression he had is that he owns the house since I did not tell him I want the house back. The person who committed the fraud is now in jail and when I found out that my signature is forged on the deed, I filed a lawsuit against the tenant who does not want to leave and who is paying the mortgage now. I know I have a good case, but is it possible that he can portray himself as a victim that he was cheated and therefore the house is his now since my intention was to sell it? will any judge consider this or since my signature was forged then nothing matters what happened afterwards? it is going to cost me money to fight this case and his lawyer says that I should concede the house. I told them the only way is for him to buy the house from me and they are insisting that the tenant is only responsible for the amount of the loan balance and I should relinquish any rights.
Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/2/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 18 days ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
It has been a while since you submitted this question. Do you still want it answered?
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
please if you can. Thanks.
I can give you the answer which should help you decide what to do.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I cannot talk now. I will contact you when I can. Thanks.
All you have to do is accept the offer for the phone call, and let me know your contact info and what's​ is the best time to call you. I will try to call you at that time. I am on the East Coast now on vacation actually So there may be a time difference.
Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer