Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I want to add my husband to the property my parents left me,

Customer Question
I want to add...

I want to add my husband to the property my parents left me, but I'm not sure which form to us and how to fill it out

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have not done anything yet, i looked at a quit claim deed, but that was to take my name off and add his and i stopped there

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Florida

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/1/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

All you need, if you want to deed it to yourselves as joint tenants, is to fill out a quitclaim deed from you to you and your husband as joint tenants, not as tenants in common, with right of survivorship.

Then record the signed, witnessed and notarized deed with the county recorder of deeds of the county where the property is located.

You can find a deed at the following link:

FL QUITCLAIM DEED

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

don't understand the paper work, sorry, i confused just want to add his name

Well that is the form to add his name to title. If you do not understand how to fill it out then you should probably hire an attorney to prepare it and record it, to make sure it is done correctly and does not mess up the title.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Also, The Florida Bar maintains an excellent online referral program:

FLORIDA BAR ATTORNEY REFERRAL

i think we are done

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.