Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am currently tied to a lease in RI that ends April 30th. I…

Customer Question
I am currently tied...

I am currently tied to a lease in RI that ends April 30th. I rented the property with my ex who is opting to stay and extend the lease. The leasing office has emailed me stating that he wants to renew and that they have to find a way for him to provide income verification so that I will not be responsible for the lease after April 30th. They are saying once this is done they will send me a letter releasing me from the lease. The lease I signed ends April 30th and I have made it clear I am not resigning. What are my legal rights? It sounds like they are trying to hold me to the lease after April 30th if he can’t provide income verification.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Rhode Island

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No issues with maintenance or upkeep. I have not lived there since October but could not get off the lease due to RI law. The lease was an 8 month lease ending April 30th

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am the primary renter on the lease due to my income he is only secondary but he refused to leave so I had to stay on the lease until it ends.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Once a new lease is signed, you should be off the hook if you do not sign, since the new lease will supersede the old lease with you and the ex.

The problem for you is if the ex stays as a holdover tenant, without a new lease.

The current lease, no doubt, provides for "joint and several" liability.

You will continue to be liable for the continued occupancy of the ex until he signs a new lease.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you blindsided by liability.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
This is the exact e-mail l got from the leasing office. If he renews is he singing a new lease?Hi Natalie,
I just wanted to let you know that Matt is going to renew the lease here, however, he and I came up with a way to verify his income and take you off the lease. Once I have that offer letter in hand (hopefully this week or next), then I will send over a letter from me signed for your records saying you are no longer bound to Grant Mill’s Lease agreement as of April 30th when your current lease expires. If you have any questions about this please let me know.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
As of right now I have heard nothing back so if he can not verify income can they just extend the current lease with me on it?

Thank you for following up.

Not exactly, but the letter form the landlord releasing you from further liability has the same effect.

If they simply renew without issuing a release to you then you could still be liable.

So, you will want to clarify that. Presumably, they will not let him stay without verifying his income.

Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 22 days ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer