Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We had a water damage in our house and with the help of a…

Customer Question
We had a water...

We had a water damage in our house and with the help of a public adjuster, we were given monies to do repairs to the house. Since I was told not to use any monies for anything other than repairs, we signed the checks over to our public adjuster who sent the monies to the contractor. The contractor finished most of the work we agreed upon, but because the bath remoldel went over by $8800.00 our price for our other construction cost. We have been trying to get him to either finish the job or give us back the excess monies. Our checks were for $26,000 + $24,000 plus another $15,000 due upon completion. His completion work is $41,000.00 less $1,300.00 of repairs not done. The umpire and his team is owed $18,500.00. This leaves us with approximately $7,000 to finish our other bathroom. We just need the excess funds so we can pay the umpire and his team and finish our other bathroom with some monies from us.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We are in Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We've sent a final e-mail stating a need to take legal action after text messages and e-mails have gone unanswered

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, but this has been going on since the end of February.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/1/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry, but I am having difficulty understanding your post.

Kindly review, edit, properly identify the parties and your issues, ask specific question(s), and resubmit.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Can we take our contractor to court for monies owed plus costs to do so? Our contractor (Blue Heron Restoration) still has over $10,000.00 in funds that is for restoration and payment to the umpire's team. We want the best solution to resolve this matter quickly and no further costs to us.

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Your Question:

Response: Yes, you can. The lawsuit would be filed at your local Courthouse. You can obtain complaint forms online if your Court makes forms available online. Otherwise, you can obtain the forms in the Clerk's office.

You should also file complaint against the contractor with your State's Contractor's Licensing Board. Click here for complaint information.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.