Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a former landlord in a state other than NC be able to…

Customer Question
Can a former landlord...

Can a former landlord in a state other than NC be able to sue for back rent in NC. I owed a couple grand when I left his premises 8 or so years ago. He went to court in MD and got the judge to order me to pay $6000 when I was not in court and didn't know of that court date. I live on old age SS and a part time minimum wage job.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I was paying him $25/ mo by USPS MO. He called me saying he had lost the November MO. He asked if I could check into replacing it. I said I would. I also asked if I could pay him by pay pal. He seemed open to that but needed me to send how that is done. I sent it with no response. I called, emailed and snail mailed a request for him to call me. I didn't find the November MO receipt but did find one for October. He never responded but began sending the sheriff's deputy to deliver a civil notice I guess its a warrant. I don't open the door and have not had the warrant delivered. I hope if and when I go to court that I can ask the case be transferred to federal court since it is a MD resident suing and NC resident. He is lawyer himself and doesn't believe that I, and MIT grad, is poor. I am poor with no savings because I have been a radical activist for no pay my whole adult life.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I wonder if I go to court can I be forced to divulge where I bank and after court will I be forced to update the court on where I bank if I change banks?

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
none
3/31/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer replied 20 days ago
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. To be clear, are you located in NC?

Real Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer replied 17 days ago

I see you have not responded in some time. Did you wish to continue with this question?

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
but I don't want the next payment to limit me to 5 questions. I remember my first encounter gave options of $45, $55, or $75, but I was confused.Seemed the $45 was for 5 questions but the $55 and $75 were both unlimited, but did not explain the $20 difference. Also, it seems it will cost $45 for any answers at all from you. Please clarify the price structure.
Real Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer replied 16 days ago

To be entirely honest I have no idea what the price structure is or what your plan is. That's not my area, and we experts are not allowed to see what your plan is. The idea is that we treat you the same regardless of what plan (or even if you are not a member) so we don't have access to that.

I can forward this to customer service who can better answer that question. I can only answer your specific legal question. So please let me know what you want me to do.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I appreciate your availability but need to straighten out the payment issue first. They charged me $45 already, but when I asked for the unlimited option, they billed me for $55. I don't want to pay $45 plus $55. Please forward this to them to be straightened out. I also want to know the difference between $55 unlimited and $75 unlimited.
Tina, Lawyer