Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in NH. I was left property in the devorce decree of…

Customer Question
I live in NH...

I live in NH . I was left property in the devorce decree of my parents . My mother sold the property before I was 18 . property is now vacant . And I want it back . Is there anything I can do ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NH lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I can't think of anything

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/31/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Do you have a copy of the divorce decree? Does it say the property was to be held in trust for you? Was it titled in your Mother's name? In order for her to sell it, it would have had to be in her name, either solely, or as trustee for the benefit for you. So, that all has to be clarified. Also, if it was sold, then the proceeds of the sale could possibly have been ordered set aside to you.

So, the divorce decree would be necessary to see exactly what was supposed to happen.