Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are a building company that renovated a home in Anacortes…

Customer Question
We are a building...

We are a building company that renovated a home in Anacortes WA in 2013 and 2014. We rented it out for 2 year and sold it this last Set 2017. We took one permit out but never had the city come back.. They haven't said really anything but the current owner found out the permits were not taken out and is upset about something else (we were to put a solar panel in for him) and h changed is mind according to the real estate contract. What is our liability to the city of anacortes? Does the new owner have anything in his contract (standard real estate contract) that makes us responsible for finishing the permitting? The current owner as put stop work order on the solar,

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

The owner went to a lawyer and asked us to remove the solar panel and pay them $15K. and make sure the permits with the city are taken care of. Do we have to take care of the permits?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a WA lawyer about this?

Yes we have a lawyer but he didnt answer the permit issue. He said we "should and it is the right thing to do" but I want to know our legal liability. We did video tape the reno and as much as the city wants to do what is right they aren't really bothered. They mentioned if we build there again take out permits.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Our company in Innovation Homes LLC. our website is inhusa.com

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 26 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are a contractor, if you failed to complete the building permits, you would be liable to the owner to do so. If you do not do so, they can actually sue you for the costs of them doing so and getting another contractor. Furthermore, they can report you to the city building inspector who can cite you for not completing the work required under the permits and not completing the permit issues in addition to the lawsuit from the owner. So it could cost you financially for not resolving the issue.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The building inspector knows about it and haven’t cited us. The owner bought the house from us after two and half years of the rehab. Isn’t there a buyer beware clause in place?
Does the real estate contract they signed when they bought the home have somewhere that we need to have permits? There is a video of the job on our website and the home is 1934 Homes with no previous plans
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 25 days ago

Thank you for you reply.

Unless the contract they bought the house under says, "as is" no there is no buyer beware statute for houses and if they prove you did negligent work, they will succeed against you. If their sale contract said the sale was as is, then yes, they would not have a claim against you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer