Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I just read the post regarding pet kennels and HOA's I too…

Customer Question
I just read the...

I just read the post regarding pet kennels and HOA's I too was denied to install a cage in my back yard for my 2 cats. We are not allowed to let them run free and must be on a leash My cats have never had a leash

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I won't let them out alone because of foxes

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Yes I filed a design request along with a picture and they won't let me have one or a greenhouse (even though my neighbor behind me has one, I live in Sommerset Village in Aurora, CO

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Can the HOA deny my request for the cat kennel? Seems like animal cruelty to me
I don't wish to call.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of good faith and fair dealing on the grounds that they are essentially binding your cats to the inside. Also, since cats often do not have a leash and because the kennel is in the backyard, it is likely a violation,. Under the Uniform Commercial Code Section 1-304, every contract comes with implied promises from both parties that they are going to be acting fairly toward one another. The failure of one party to act fairly toward other can result in a breach of contract. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can just purchase, download, and go. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

That's all for now. Thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!