Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a 5 acre parcel of land in state. There exists an

Customer Question
I own a 5...

I own a 5 acre parcel of land in Washington state. There exists an easement for ingress,egress and utilities over a portion of my property that serves the parcel to the south. I need to know if I legally have the right to use the existing driveway within that easement to access my property from the public right of way as long as I am not hindering the use of it by the property owner who has legal use of it.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. I was just going to construct a driveway off of the existing driveway

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a WA lawyer about this?

No

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I've attached a copy of the Short Plat that created this easement.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
The easement is in the Southwest corner of lot 1. I own lot 1.
3/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. The answer to your question is no, you can't use the easement to access your property from the public right of way unless some exceptions are met. First, if the owner of Lot 2 agrees to let you use this easement for those purposes, then you can use it. Second, if this is the only way for you to access your parcel, then you can use it as well. This is considered an easement by necessity and the courts are often willing to let those easements stand so people can access the land.

Otherwise, the law is going to treat this easement like any other agreement for someone to use your land. You can't interfere with their right and enjoyment of the land at all unless and until you have their permission to do so.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 14 days ago

Hi, I noticed that we never had a chance to reconnect on this. I’m totally ready to help. Did you have any follow up questions for me or any other facts to add? If not, would you be so kind as to rate your opinion of my service?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer