Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

This is about property taxes in texas can u still help me. I…

Customer Question
This is about property...

This is about property taxes in texas can u still help me

Lawyer's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am 69 years old I have a homestead exemption on my home and have had it since I was 65 but now the say they atre selling my home for the back taxes is that leagal

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No I think that's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/31/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: Unfortunately, it is legal. A homestead exemption does not exempt your home from foreclosure due to delinquent property taxes. See Texas Property Code Title 5 Chapter 41 Section 41.001(b)

You need to find a way to come up with the money to pay the taxes due. You should also contact the taxing authority to see if you can make a payment arrangement.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law