Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

May I break my lease if it is necessary for me to move to an…

Customer Question
May I break my...

May I break my lease if it is necessary for me to move to an assisted living community?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I am in the process of visiting assisted living communities. No papaerwork has been started.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In San Antonio, TX

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately unless your written lease states that you have an "escape clause" where you can get out of your lease for something like that, then legally you can't. There is not any type of "hardship" escape clause in a lease unless it was specifically stated in the lease. If you are under a written lease for a set term, then if you break the lease, the landlord can potentially hold you liable for up to the entire remaining term of the lease. If your financial situation has changed, it would not give you legal grounds to get out of the lease without any repercussions.

.

However, if you have to break your lease, the landlord has a duty to mitigate his damages by attempting to re-rent the unit as soon as possible. Once he does so, he can only hold you liable for his actual damages in the form of any lost rent and advertising costs. So if it takes him 1 or 2 months to rent it again, he can only hold you liable for that lost rent plus any advertising costs.

.

So to minimize your potential liability, if you have to breach, make sure you leave the place as close to spotless as you can so the landlord can immediately put it on the market and hopefully rent it quickly.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much