Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm having problems with my boyfriends nephew not leaving my…

Customer Question
I'm having problems with...

I'm having problems with my boyfriends nephew not leaving my apartment and my boyfriend no longer lives here what can i do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the apartment located?

Iv been threaten and bad mouthed by him san antonio tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son is here to

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer
Technically, in most situations a houseguest who remains after being asked to leave is trespassing. How can you get rid of such a person? First, make sure that the trespasser knows that he or she is no longer welcome. It can be difficult to tell friends and relatives that you want them to leave, but until if you have previously given the person permission to stay at your house, and not made it explicit that you want the person to leave, he or she may not be violating any laws. If you have made crystal clear that a guest is not welcome, but the guest continues to stay, call the police and report the person for trespassing. However, you may find that the police are not as helpful as you would hope. In such situations, you may need to encourage your houseguest to leave by changing the wi-fi password, stripping the guest bed, and taking back your key.If you accept money in exchange for allowing a person to stay with you, that person may be considered your tenant (entitled to eviction protection) under state law.Under the law in most states, guests, even long-term guests, are not tenants and are not entitled to the formal eviction process. However, a police officer has no way of knowing whether your guest is a trespasser or a tenant and may refuse to remove the person, on the chance that you are trying to avoid the eviction process.
you should place him on notice that he is no longer welcome and he must leave within 30 days or you will pursue civil or criminal remedies for this trespass.
If I have provided you adequate guidance on this subject please provide me with a positive rating of five stars so that I may get credit for this session
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer