Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My aunt and uncle did a beneficiary and then did aquit deed…

My aunt and uncle...

My aunt and uncle did a beneficiary and then did aquit deed on a property owned by 3 different people. The quit deed states they both agree to give it up to the other people. Can she come back and change the deed after he dies and reclaim his share?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

There is only a beneficiary record in court house saying she was in titled to his share by marriage. Then they recorded a quit deed saying they both give their share to the other 2 people. The property has never been devised so each person owns a third of a deed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

This is a property or land in which one person lives on it. It is in wayland, Missouri

3/28/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

A quit claim deed is binding once it is executed by the person gifting/transferring the interest.

The party signing the quit claim deed cannot void the deed unless there is a court order to that effect and that requires some type of fraud, duress, coercion or undue influence.
A grantor (the person signing a quit claim deed) cannot then later simply change their mind; it is a binding document.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Does a quit deed over ride a will? Is there any way she could try to get it back