Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a cemetery co sell one of your plots that you own

Customer Question
Can a cemetery co...

Can a cemetery co sell one of your plots that you own without your knowledge or your permission? If not, what is my recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Calif

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I've contacted them and their offer was to replace both plots with 2 others and to waive the opening and closing fees. My mother bought these plots in 1954 for our family. In Oct 1996 she signed them over to me as no other family member lives here. I went to the cemetery as I wanted to put them on the market and found that the company had buried another person in one of our plots in 1991

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They then today offered me $10,000. For both and to sign off on any and all future holdings.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Absolutely not. That lot is reserved and may not be sold absent owner consent.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
They are telling me that the Cemetery was under a different management co. Plot was sold by a Charles Louis Hinkle. If I die I will be responsible for their Atty fees
No basis to sell your lot. The cemetery can change ownership or management but lots are individually owned.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!