Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mom reported an electrical issue with her rental to the…

Customer Question
My mom reported an...

My mom reported an electrical issue with her rental to the property agency. 4 days later the property manager told her the house would be red tagged and she had to vacate the home by the end of the week. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

The property agency has only verbally given my mom notice, has not given her any paperwork. They returned her early paid rent for April.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

San jacinto, CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that my mom is a senior and lives with her developmentally disabled daughter and this is causing a tremendous amount of stress to be told she has to move out in only a few days.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Hello

If the house is not habitable then, yes, it is legal, but the landlord is still liable for the obligations of the lease. So, if she has to vacate, then her landlord is liable to her for providing comparable accommodation or the money damages.

In other words, the lease does not end unilaterally, unless the lease has a specific provision to the contrary.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Just double checking that we are still connected...

Yes. Do you see my answer.

No I don't see the answer yet

Me

28 Mar 2018, 4:36 PM

Is the landlord required to give her a written notice?

The landlord is required to provide habitable accommodations.

If the house is tagged as not habitable by the county or city then the county or city would give notice.

Officially there does not appear to be any tags on the house at all...

Then she does not have to leave if she has a valid lease.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Posted in error.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.