Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I currently rent a house (for the past 14 yrs.), and my

Customer Question
I currently rent a...

I currently rent a house (for the past 14 yrs.), and my landlord is now selling the house. He wants me to sign a termination of lease agreement but before I sign it, I need to know my rights. I just paid to put in new carpeting & tile and a bathroom vanity and a plumber to install. My landlord would not reimburse me. What are my rights as a tenant?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 29 days ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

When does the lease expire?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No expiration date

I see. Are there any termination clauses? I should ask if the lease is written?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
it’s a form I signed 14 yrs. ago. I’m trying to pull it out of my files now.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I can’t find it right now
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Can you answer my question?

Yes. Unfortunately, you really do not have much leverage in the circumstances. Shall I explain?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
explain

See. Once the written lease expired, you became a month to month tenant. That means all the landlord has to do is give you notice to vacate the premises (giving you 30 days notice in this situation). Also, a landlord is not responsible to pay for any improvement done to property without the consent of the landlord that the landlord would pay for the improvements.

That's not to say you cannot attempt to negotiate a move out date and possibly some compensation. If you refused to move, the landlord would have to file a lawsuit against you and it would hold up the sale. So, in that sense, you have some leverage.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
What do you mean I don’t have any leverage? For getting reimbursement for my carpeting and tile? Or bathroom fixed?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hello

I am here. Hold, please.

See. A tenant that does improvement does not get reimbursed for the improvement unless agreed to by the landlord. Possibly you could remove the carpet and take it with you but the landlord could argue otherwise. The bathroom fixtures or possibly the tiles would be considered a fixture that you cannot remove.

Generally, all alterations, additions and improvements (and expressly including all light fixtures and floor coverings), except trade fixtures, appliances and equipment which do not become a part of the Premises, usually immediately become the property of Landlord without any obligation to pay therefor.

Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 25 days ago

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see if you need further help. If you need more, just let me know.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney